Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

A Ride in the Clouds

 
It would be my first ride in the clouds.  Would I be scared, would I be thrilled?
 
The plain stopped on the runway and the engine got louder and louder.  I sat rigged in my seat.  Would it take off so fast that everything would be a blur?  I watched the flaps of the wings raise up and down as I assumed the pilot was double checking that everything was in working order.  The power with which the plain moved forward, pushed me back against the seat.  The airport whizzed by then, slowly, slowly my body was raised from earth in this metal contraption with stationary wings.    The ground how I had once known it got further and further away as it turned into a patchwork of greens, browns, and yellows dotted with the tiny roofs of houses and barns.  I chewed my gum vigorously as I felt my ears get plugged and my head grow tight from the drastic altitude changes. 

 
 
 My friend, Rebekah and I were on our way to Bend, Oregon to the ranch we've always dreamed about: Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch.  We flew out of Des Moines a half our later than expected due to a flicker in the airport's electricity from the rain storm.  We landed in Minneapolis, at 8:35a.m. only to anxiously wait 10 more minutes for an exit ramp to be brought to the door of the plain.  By then it was 8:55 a.m. and our plain was to depart at 9:00.  We raced across the airport passing people in our frantic state.  As we were halfway there, Rebekah stopped and said, "Wait, did that sign say it wasn't leaving till 9:30?"  "I don't know.  I'd rather get there sooner than later," I commented knowing that our luggage had already been loaded on that plain.  Sure enough the plain had been delayed (good thing for us).  As we hit the skies for Salt Lake City, we had a sinking feeling as we double checked our tickets.  We were going to barely make our flight to Portland.  As the jet landed, the stewardess listed off the flights that were departing, Portland being one of them.  We were discouraged as this meant we would not get to ride the bus that we had payed for.  Thankfully, Rebekah thought to ask if we could have our alternate flight be Redmond.  This way we could get ahead of the bus and still meet Rachel (the lady we'd be staying with) at the bus stop in Bend.   It was amazing to see how God worked out the details.  Through it all Rebekah had said, "There's no need to get worried about it.  God's worked things out this far, so He can work through this as well. There is nothing we can do about it so I might as well trust Him."  She was so right.  We had no need to be anxious with God on our side! 
 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! Excited to hear the first part of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete