Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Our New (Old) Horses

Just thought you all might enjoy seeing what the two new (old) horses look like.  Wall and Wildfire are still my favorites, but that's probably because they're the ones that I'm most familiar with and have worked with the longest.  I haven't quite gotten a conversation and understanding going with the two new ones.  Big black Joe seems to be catching on faster than old Jed. 

Well, this is Joe, hanging out with his new buddies. 

 
Joe is a 20 year old solid black paint.  He is real smart.  Unless you first prove to him that loping is easier than whining and bucking, you might have an interesting ride!  My brother rode him with me the other evening and Joe behaved beautifully.  He neck reigns well, has a big stride, and is interested in going someplace new.  He has a mischievous side.  The other evening, when I checked on the horses, the float on the water tub was nocked off, cracked, and spraying water everywhere.  Joe splashed his foot in the puddle that was forming and looked at me with pricked ears.  I'm pretty sure I know who did it.   JOE!!!!!!

 
Jedda, whose names I've shortened to Jed because the name Jedda sounds female and makes me call him a she, is a 28 year old quarter horse gelding.  Besides some arthritis in his back legs, he is sound and spunky.  Jed is the boss and he and Wally continue to argue over who gets to be with Wildfire--the only mare in my little herd.  Jed is content to be ridden at a slow easy pace and when asked to trot, breaks into a real quick bouncy gait that turns into a lope if trying to keep up with the horse in front or if headed in the direction of home.  It's taking a while, but I'm learning to like this horse.  I haven't completely figured out how to make him interested in me yet, but I'm beginning to see some subtle changes.  Most of the problem is I haven't spent as much time with him yet.
 
I just had to add this last picture of Wildfire.  She was scratching her but on the fence and her expression was so funny!  She is quite the little pony!  Wildfire gets along well with my little sister who likes to braid this pony's long main.  Wildfire stands still with her eyes half closed as my sister braids.
 
After I had took this picture, she quickly exited the scene; it was as though she thought a picture like this was not appropriate!
 
 
Ok, I guess this one is the last photo for the day.  This one doesn't go with my horse post, but hey, maybe I'll make him into a calf to be roped some day.  Either that or my brothers and I joke we'll make him into a buck'n bull! 
 
 
This is T Bone.
Doesn't he look adorable and delicious?  Ok, sorry.  I didn't mean that, yet!  Maybe rodeo potential?  In our dreams!
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: